[OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop Feature Request

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Mar 9 16:19:53 EDT 2009

On Mar 9, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Cameron Bracken wrote:

>> Howdy,
>

> Another way of ``solving'' the problem of having .texshop files
> around is to
>> include the line
>

> %%!TEX root = path/to/the/root.tex
>

> in each of the included files. This tell TeXShop to open (an
> minimize) the
>> root file and compile root.tex.
>

> Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.  Is there a reference for all of the
> ``
> %%!TEX'' options.  The only other one I know if is TS-program.
>
> -Cameron

Howdy,

I know of a few:

%%!TEX TS-program = xxxxxxx

to tell TeX to execute the xxxxxxx engine (latex, pdflatex, xelatex,
pdftex, xetex, etc.) when you press the Typset->Typeset (Cmd-T). I use
this in my template so that I don't have to think about which engine
to use for a particular file (e.g., did I include a jpg or eps image
or do I need special processing using a custom engine?).

%%!TEX encoding = yyyy

if I need a special encoding because I want to embed some non-ascii
characters directly in my file. You can get a list of encodings
understood by TeXShop by looking at Help->TeXShop Help Panel and
search for `encoding'. The Add Additional Typesetting Engines choice
has the list (weird as it may seem). I've only used UTF-8 Unicode
(especially for xelatex), MacOSRoman (for some local documents that
only go out as pdf files) and IsoLatin (Latin 1, which is used heavily
on Windows and *nix systems).

%%!TEX root = rootfile.tex

as you've seen already.

%%: tagname

to add a tag to TeXShop's Tags drop down list in the source window.

There may be more but I don't use them so even if I ever knew about
them I've forgotten (I am getting on in age :-)).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)