[OS X TeX] Problem with Figure/Includegraphics

Jacques Dubucs jacques.dubucs at univ-paris1.fr
Fri Mar 20 02:36:05 EDT 2009

Dear Herb,

Thanks for your quick answer.

True, the console output contains this warning:

File `K G.jpg' not found on input line 9

But this very warning is misleading, because the system *does find* this
file and *does handle* it correctly (Gödel face appears !), while it
produces also the label of the file gratis pro Deo.

Moreover, this unpredictible influence of accidental features of the
argument on the generic behavior of a command is baffling. That's as if the
motor of your car were starting in any circumstance when requested, but the
widscreen wipers also at the same time when songbirds are active in the
neighborhood.

To the Latex newcomer, who is inclined to name 'Kurt Gödel' his picture of
Kurt Gödel and who spends vain hours to inquire about hypothetical hidden
options of the figure environment to get what he wants, that's quite
disconcerting.

Best regards,

JD

I'd like to add that the console output (LaTeX Warning:) is itself
misleading, for the system *does find* the file