[OS X TeX] Lucida installation - once again

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Mar 26 18:00:08 EDT 2009

On  26 Mar, 2009, at 14:18, Vic Norton wrote:

> I am about to install the Lucida font package on a new iMac. I'm
> thinking of two options.
>
> Option A. (which I did on my old iMac)
> 1. Unzip lucida-complete.zip in ~/Library/texmf/
> 2. Run:
>     sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map
>
> I believe that if I install Lucida this way, I need to uncheck
> "Install updates for all users" in the TeX Live Utility preferences.
>
> Option B. (which I am inclined to do this time)
> 1. Unzip lucida-complete.zip in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/
> 2. Run:
>     sudo mktexlsr
>     sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map

What I *used* to do is Option A, against the judicious advice of
people like Peter Dyballa and Herbert Schulz ---and, yes, you *can*
use sudo <utility>-sys with maps in ~/Library, you say you did it, I
*used* to do it, even though it might not be advisable.

But now (finally!) I've come to my senses and follow Option B, and I'm
happy with it, and it allows me to have exactly the same set up in Mac
and Linux.

Best,

Axel