[OS X TeX] using variables in text via references or labels

Gert van Oss gertmt at mac.com
Mon Mar 30 14:31:44 EDT 2009

dear all,

I've had some problem making up a clear subject line and stil am in
doubt whether I've succeded. What I'm trying to achieve is the
following.

My documents have often various tables and charts embedded via the

    \input{table_file}

command.

While explaining my tables/charts I'm mentioning actual numbers (as
listed in the tables) in my text. Is it somehow possible to create a
list of numbers in my latex document and have them called via a
reference in my text? This would enable me to run a somewhat related
scenario in my numbers and udpate both my tables with numbers and have
all numbers changed in the text as well.

I was thinking this should be possible while using \labels, \ref but
for the moment can't stretch my mind to find a solution.

Thanks for any reply,

Gert