[OS X TeX] Error while updating

Akshay Gulati geekpotter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:31:42 EDT 2009

I am getting error on trying to update texlive manager, when i see
code i cant understand the error:

akshay-gulatis-macbook:TeXLive AKI$ tlmgr update
tlmgr: installation location http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
remove ogonek (removed on server)
/usr/texbin/tlmgr: open(>/usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb)
failed: Permission denied at /usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/TeXLive/
TLPDB.pm line 320.
akshay-gulatis-macbook:TeXLive AKI$ tlmgr update all
tlmgr: installation location ftp://ctan.cms.math.ca/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
Updates for tlmgr itself are present.
Please update the package bin-texlive and texlive.infra first,e.g., by
calling
   tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra
Or get the latest updater from
for Unix-ish systems:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/update-tlmgr-latest.sh
for Windows systems:
   http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/update-tlmgr-latest.exe
Then continue with other updates.
/usr/texbin/tlmgr: Exiting, please read above warning.

Also another question is that, if i download some external package
which is not included in TEX ..Where should i put it.
Some one told me that it is not good to put it in tex-mf...

Thanks

Aki