[OS X TeX] New Editor.

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat May 2 09:20:43 EDT 2009

On May 1, 2009, at 10:19 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On May 1, 2009, at 6:55 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> On May 1, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> I've just run across a new editor that is in beta at this time
>>> that may have some interesting features for some folks (e.g., a
>>> side panel with a document outline). Go to <http://
>>> deliciouscode.com/> for more information. Oh... it seems to need
>>> OS X 10.5.x and is universal.
>>
>> Given that the site is a .com, I would assume that TeXWriter will
>> eventually become proprietary. Given that it is soliciting bug
>> reports etc, it reminds me of the GraceNote incident a few years ago.
>

> So what?  Soliciting bug reports is beneficial for users and for
> the developer, providing the developer acts on them.  I submit bug
> reports and feature requests to commercial software developers
> regularly, if they provide a mechanism for it and have demonstrated
> that it's worth my time.  Apple is seldom responsive, but
> visualdatatools.com, wavemetrics.com, and stone.com are great
> examples of well-supported commercial applications.

I entirely agree of course. But there is a bit of a difference in
this case. At this point, we are invited to download the app freely
and this is where the ambiguity arises: when I "submit bug reports
and feature requests" to, say, Intaglio, I know without doubt that it
is a commercial application since I bought it. i wonder how the
people who might feel they have contributed to the development will
feel if there suddenly is a price tag on the app—which I was not able
to try since I am still on 10-4. Call me naïve but it seems to me
that a clear notice as to whether or not TeXWriter will eventually be
for sale wouldn't have hurt.

Regards
--schremmer