[OS X TeX] Card Format

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:12:07 EDT 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 3:55 PM, David Watson wrote:

> On May 6, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to get something like the following look for each
>> single page of a book? (Hence the name "card format")? The idea is
>> that the outer lines are always on the margins and the inner lines
>> can be changed to accommodate the contents of the boxes.
>
> I know it's apples and oranges, but I always liked the kinds of
> textbooks that provided something like the following

If I can't do it any other way, that is what I will do.

> I know this isn't what you are looking for, but it keeps the flow
> going linearly, instead of breaking up the natural flow of text.

With so-called "developmental students", it seems that the format of
the attached sample works better: going horizontally from "Example"
to "Solution" and then vertically through the two or three
"exercises" while looking up for "help and inspiration".

In any case, I am pretty sure that it is important that things be
well delineated in boxes. You might call that a "focussing device".

> I think this helps when it comes to challenged students who have a
> hard time following instructions.

As far as I can see, it isn't so much that as the fact that they
cannot focus.

Regards
--schremmer