[OS X TeX] Parts of equations dragged from TeXShop

david craig dac at panix.com
Tue May 12 19:11:03 EDT 2009

> To repeat my question, trying to help you to understand your problem:
> are you trying to copy a picture or are you trying to copy a maths
> particle in a kind of text representation?

This is not a problem I've seen before, and naturally pops up while
I'm on the road preparing a conference presentation.

I am creating equations for a presentation and/or figures.  Mac OS
10.5.6, TeXShop 2.26, LaTeXiT 1.16.1.  In TeXShop you can select an
equation (or whatever) from the preview and drag it to the desktop or to
your presentation, creating a small pdf.  In LaTeXiT you run your code
and drag the resulting equation to the desktop or your presentation or
whatever.

I HAVE installed the font-cache-bug fix.   (Several times, now...)

After not too terribly long a time, now, whether TeXShop or LaTeXiT,
characters in the output (not just stuff I drag out of either) start
disappearing (or sometimes replaced by exclamation points).  Tends to
get worse the longer I wait before rebooting.  Both in TeXShop's preview
and/or LaTeXiT -- once it starts in one I start seeing it in the other.

TeX is becoming unusable, which is catastrophic for me!

I am at a loss what is triggering the problem, and why I am seeing it
now (with a vengeance) but have never seen it before.  Not much has
changed that I can think of.

Deleting the font caches/rebooting helps temporarily, but it comes back.
SOMETHING related to font display in pdf's is corrupted, perhaps some
cache that google hasn't told me about that isn't re-generated on
reboot, or something I am doing is corrupting them anew.

I'm becoming a bit desperate.   I welcome suggestions!   (Re-installing
TeXLive is not an option until I return home.   Besides, I doubt that
would resolve a corrupted cache problem, if that's what it is.)

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>