[OS X TeX] ligature fi not appearing

Jason Davies ophiochos at gmail.com
Wed May 13 18:54:34 EDT 2009

Herbert Schulz wrote on 13/5/09 at 23:49

>It appears that you are using a URW Times font. Could you provide a
>minimal, but complete and compilable, example document so we can see
>what may be causing the problem?

Hi Herbert

Not sure if this list will allow attachments so i've pasted also
below. THis is the errant file with virtually all the text
removed except one suitable sentence -- all commands are intact.

Thanks

%document follows

\documentclass[b5paper, 12 pt]{article}

\usepackage{harvard}
\usepackage{setspace}

  \bibstyle{harvard}
\usepackage{times}

  \setcounter {secnumdepth}{0}

\normalsize
\makeatletter
\renewcommand\section{\@startsection
{section}{1}{0mm}
{-\baselineskip}
{0.5\baselineskip}
{\normalfont\large\itshape\bfseries}}
%\makeatother

\makeatletter
\renewcommand\subsection{\@startsection
{subsection}{2}{0mm}
{-\baselineskip}
{0.5\baselineskip}
{\normalfont\large\itshape}}

%\makeatother
\makeatletter
\renewcommand\subsubsection{\@startsection
{subsubsection}{3}{4mm}
{-\baselineskip}
{0.1\baselineskip}
{\normalfont\normalsize\itshape}}
\begin{document}
  that `if a lack of unanimity in definition disqualifies the
word ``belief'' from scholarly use, then the same problem also
disqualifies every substitute term that has yet been proposed.'

\end{document}