[OS X TeX] Tex preference

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Oct 10 22:26:03 EDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 5:07 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a student who had GWTeX installed and then installed MacTeX.
> In System Preferences, the TeX Distribution is set to Texlive 2008
> (he even unchecked it and rechecked it), but his sytsem is still
> calling the files in GWTex.
>
> Anyone see this before? Workaround?
>
> David

I assume he's using TeXShop as a front end. Most likely the TeXShop-
 >Preferences->Engine->Path setting->(pdf)TeX setting has to be set
to /usr/texbin which will then follow whatever is displayed as the
active distribution in the System Preferences->TeX Distribution
Preference Pane.

If the student is also using an updated TeXShop from what being used
before it may actually be wise to simply remove ~/Library/Preferences/
TeXShop.plist (where ~ is the HOME directory) which is TeXShop's
preference file. When TeXShop is restarted a fresh preference file
will be created with all the default settings which can then be
customized to taste.

If the student is using another front end the settings for the path to
the TeX binaries should be set to /usr/texbin. Finally, if the
Terminal is being used to run TeX programs they should just work out
of the box.

Oh... one more thing... MacTeX-2009 will be released shortly so ...

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)