[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 23:52:08 EDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:24 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Your label is wider than the  \labelwidth
> allocated for the particular level of item nesting.
>
> The value being used is stored as either:
>   \leftmargini
>   \leftmarginii
>   \leftmarginiii
>   \leftmarginiv
>   \leftmarginv
>   \leftmarginvi
>
> in the class file (e.g., article.cls , report.cls )
> or in  bk10.clo , bk11.clo or  bk12.clo
> according to which your class file uses, or inherits from.
>
> You can adjust it using \setlength  or  \addtolength
> after the  \documentclass  line in your preamble.
>
> To find the correct parameters for yourself, you either have
> to read a good LaTeX manual, or do some tracing of the macro
> expansions --- not for the faint of heart.

While fiddling with something a bit similar, I came to suspect that
there must be allocations made somewhere for this sort of things
because I could move the list a bit but not beyond a certain point. I
got out of it by putting the list inside a minipage. But I couldn't
figure out how to do that here and I hadn't thought of changing the
allocations.

I am (ab)using Companion 2ed (it's falling apart) and I will study
"3.3.4 Making your own lists" where I see all the \leftmargins. (I am
using "book", what else?) There is a very nice figure but the rest
doesn't look too friendly and since, until I buckle down, it is just
a matter of a few more trees ...  But I will get to it---sooner or
later.

Very grateful regards,
--schremmer