[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:53:38 EDT 2009

On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:24 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Your label is wider than the  \labelwidth
> allocated for the particular level of item nesting.

1) I am not too swift but very obstinate. Besides, I felt for all
these trees.

So, I thought I would "try harder" and the first thing I did was to
get rid of "Question". Sure enough, the paragraph margin moved back
to the left. So, now, at least, the trees are safe. (But the "easily
confused" students I am dealing with liked the clear delineation
afforded by the word "Question".)

2) I then read Companion 2ed and tried a number of variations on
inserting   \setlength{\leftmargin}

I tried to insert  \setlength{\leftmargin}{25mm}
---right after \documentclass[11pt]{book} and before \usepackage
---right after \usepackage
---right after \begin{document}

I then tried the same with 0mm and then with -5mm

I then tried the same with leftmargini, leftmarginii, leftmarginiii

But the margin stayed put whatever i tried.

3) At this point, I see only two possibilities: i. Forget about
"Question" or ii. Study the "construct[ion of a] different
description list" as per page 147 of Companion 2ed. I think that I
will forget that one too.

Still, I don't see what is so outlandish in requiring that the labels
be as in a theorem environment. (I can't use that because the
"enumerate" is intrinsic to probsoln which is what controls the list
of questions. )

Very grateful regards
--schremmer