[OS X TeX] TeX Live Utility not updating + texdoc broken!

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Oct 26 01:50:41 EDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 10:22 PM, Juan Acevedo wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wonder if someone can point me to a solution for what is starting to look to this ignorant fellow like a partially broken TeX Live installation.
>
> I have a MacTeX-installed TL 2008 which seems to be running fine (documents compile alright), but for some time now TL Utility gives me the message "No updates available". I have successfully reinstalled tlmgr, via the menu option in TL Utility, and I still get "No updates".

TeX Live 2008 has been frozen since last summer, and will never be updated again.  In fact, it'll be removed from the CTAN servers when TL 2009 is released (any day now), so you'll get a different error message.

> Now I have discovered that texdoc is not working, though I have checked, and both the alias in texbin and texdoc.tlu are in the right places.
>
> Are these problems related? Is there a simple fix for this other than reinstalling everything? If reinstalling is the option of choice, does this mean simply downloading MacTeX and running the installer again?
>
> I have also tried
> echo $PATH
> with this result:
> /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Your path should include /usr/texbin, and /usr/texbin should be a symlink created by the MacTeX installer.  Did you upgrade your system to 10.6?  If so, see

http://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/#qm10

for details on fixing the problem.  Alternately, rerunning the installer should fix it as well.