[OS X TeX] Why does this hang so = [OT] electronic books

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 20:28:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Alain Schremmer
<schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 7:43 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>
>> And all successive editions differ mainly by shuffling of the text and
>> problems (so if the instructor gives home assignments using textbook
>> problems then all students must have the same edition)
>
> This is indeed another reason for the atomization of textbooks into
> "independent modules". I had forgotten about that.

Well, take edition 8th of some textbook, go to chapter 7 problem set,
out of 31 problems replace 5 randomly selected with other 5 which do
not make more sense, apply random permutation of 31 problems, and 9th
edition is ready to rock!

BTW in Soviet Union there were separate problem books with hundreds if
not thousand of problems; some of these problem books were iconic.
This was a product of collecting from many sources and exploiting
countless (under)graduate students.

Victor