[OS X TeX] Snow Leopard and locator

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Sep 1 18:15:12 EDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:

> Snow Leopard seems to have made a change to the way the locate
> database is generated. For example, the indispensible Locator
> program (version 0.73) is no longer able to generate or regenerate
> the database from within the program. The only way I've found to do
> it is
>
> cd /usr/libexec
> sudo ./locate.updatedb
>
> Leopard used to allow simply
>
> sudo /usr/libexec/locator.updatedb
>
> Michael

Howdy,

Locator is getting a bit long in tooth. It's PPC only and with the
update to Snow Leopard I'd have to install Rosetta. I think it's time
to look for some substitute. Some of the other tools around can use
the locate data base and hopefully Spotlight and Find in Snow Leopard
(haven't installed it yet) can list system files without intervention
(it can be set up each time with Find in Finder).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)