[OS X TeX] smaller matrix in math mode

david craig dac at panix.com
Sun Sep 6 17:02:18 EDT 2009

I'm trying to reduce the size of a pmatrix in an equation -- but ONLY
that pmatrix (not the equation which follows it):

\begin{equation}
% \mbox{\scriptsize
% latex complains but it works:
{\scriptsize
% latex does not complain but it's (too) bigger than scriptsize:
% {\scriptstyle
% This is the same size as scriptstyle:
% {\scriptscriptstyle
\begin{pmatrix}
\text{alternate}\\
\text{definition}
\end{pmatrix}
}  \qquad
y = x
\label{eq:label}
\end{equation}

Googling has led to a variety of solutions, none of which actually work
in this paqrticlar instance.  I've tried putting an mbox both inside and
outside the pmatrix, for example, but latex just complains (and dies).

Is there a solution which won't generate a complaint from pdftex?

Thanks,
David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>