[OS X TeX] Snow Leopard and locator

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Wed Sep 9 14:19:28 EDT 2009

On Sep 9, 2009, at 8:59 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2009, at 9:31 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
>> On Sep 7, 2009, at 11:38 PM, Michael Sharpe wrote:
>>>>
>>> Thanks for your response. I had eventually found that, in order to
>>> have System Files appear in the menu, I had to choose Other, then
>>> choose System Files, then, most importantly, select the box "In
>>> menu". It is still a frustration that I have to go through several
>>> steps to get what I want each time I search with Find---(a) select
>>> "System Files"; (b) Select "are included"; (c) Click "File name",
>>> and then what I get is not just file names. Every email message
>>> that contains the search text is also listed, mixed in with the
>>> file names. This makes me believe that the locate database
>>> approach is not yet dead. Of course, if there were a reasonable
>>> way to do the same thing that Find produces using a command line
>>> whose output could be filtered further, the prognosis for the
>>> locate database would be poor.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Again, I don't think locate is dead. I think the Locator front end
> is dead.
>
> Good Luck,

Definitely, that's clear, that's what you are saying. It looks like
Michael is suggesting that he would prefer to use a more sophisticated
Finder search, or else have access to Finder search results in such a
way that they could be processed, then he would abandon locate for that.

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
agoldstein at iona.edu
a.m.goldstein at mac.com
http://www.iona.edu/faculty/agoldstein