[OS X TeX] Long document typesetting problems

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:52:09 EDT 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Pete Chvany wrote:

> A user in a department I support has reported a couple of problems
> when typesetting long documents. He's using TeXShop 2.26 via the
> MacTeX-2008 distribution dated 20 March 2009, on Macs running either
> OS 10.5.7 or 10.5.8.
>
> 2. When he makes small changes and typesets a document again, the
> document view seems to recall his place in the document incorrectly,
> though it gets close enough to suggest that it's trying. If he was
> on page X before re-typesetting, the viewer will return him to page
> X +/- 2 or +/- 3, but never X. This is also apparently recent
> behavior.

When you delete the aux files, pagination after the first typesetting
may change due to missing cross-references (small changes in one page
can move large floats around and cause big changes overall). This can
cause the pdf to display a different page of the document. Typesetting
a second time will restore the output and will normally bring up the
"correct" page. You can always sync to bring up the page you want. (I
use synctex with texshop 2.26).

Themis