[OS X TeX] is i-Installer still working?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 24 08:10:50 EDT 2009

<hegewald at irmb.tu-bs.de
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I just wanted to update my gwtex with the famous i-Installer. But I
>>> always get this error when selecting a package (e.g. gwtex) from the
>>> known packages directory:
>>> Cannot read remote table of contents. The most probable cause is a
>>> download problem.
>>> Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>> Switch to MacTeX, gwtex is no longer maintained. For updates you can
>> TeX Live Utility, after you have installed MacTeX.
>
> Do I have to remove gwtex before installing MacTeX?

I think I would recommend you to do so, to avoid a mixup of configurations
- although you can probably install without removing, and use the tex
distribution switcher to select an active one. I know a lot of effort went
into making sure different versions can peacefully coexist (with the
possible exception of Fink-installed TeX) but I never needed that. Others
may be in a better position to give a definitive answer.

Your personal tree will remain the same (~/Library/texmf/), but I don't
know if you have a system wide local tree. Store that tree in a safe
location. Everything you installed there is probably out of date, so be
careful in what you bring back in your new configuration.

Best,

Maarten