[OS X TeX] PDF Compatibility?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Apr 1 21:38:10 EDT 2010

On Apr 1, 2010, at 7:10 PM, Sam Bradley wrote:

> I am writing a biography of my mother using TexShop 2.33 running on an iMac with OS X 10.6.3 operating system.  I am wanting to formally publish the resulting document using the Blurb micropublishing web site.  They are telling me that they accept PDF files submitted in PDF/X-3:2002 format set with Acrobat 4 (PDF1.3) compatibility.
>
> I have no idea how to confirm that TexShop compiles my .tex file to this resulting .pdf file format.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Sam.....

> Sam Bradley
> Vicksburg, MS
> sam.bradley at me.com

Howdy,

By default pdflatex produces pdf1.4 (in TeX Live 2010 it will be pdf1.5) but you should be able to tell pdflatex to make pdf1.3 compliant code by putting the line

\pdfminorversion=3

in the preamble of the document.

I believe that latex(+dvips+distiller) uses ps2pdf13 as the distiller by default which also produced pdf1.3 compliant code.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)