[OS X TeX] Shell escape and MacTeX 2009

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 7 14:32:00 EDT 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Robert Morelli wrote:

> Herbert Schulz wrote:
>> Rather than trying to work my way through that code... what command steps would you run if you were going to do this manually via the command line? It may be possible to do something that extends the epstopdf package to do the conversion (whatever that may be) or use latexmk to automate the process (I use latexmk within TeXshop) or some combination of both.
>>

> I use AUCTeX + Aquamacs. When you say extend the epstopdf package, do you mean by
> using a configuration file, or by actually hacking the code? I would not have the time to
> attempt the latter.
>
> In normal use, a latex file myfile.tex using the asymptote package generates an asy file
> myfile.asy
> when you run pdflatex on it. Then you run asy on that file
> asy myfile
> and this generates a series of pdf files:
> myfile-1.pdf
> myfile-2.pdf
> A second run of pdflatex on myfile.tex includes those generated pdf files.
> Is latexmk good for something like that?

Howdy,

Let me think about the best approach to this problem. I'm not sure that trying to extend epstopdf or even the asymptote package is the best way to go. In TeXshop there is an Asymtote engine that basically does that sequence but I think it can be made better by using latexmk for the second run. One may be able to create a latexmkrc file that uses the asy step as a post or preprocessing step. Again, let me think about it and look into the possibilities.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)