[OS X TeX] Re: FYI: Support for Carbon Emacs package will end

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 07:30:28 EDT 2010

On 2010-04-08 12:07 +0100, Juergen Fenn wrote:
> Am 08.04.10 12:24 schrieb Leo:
>> I have been using extensively and exclusively mac-port Emacs. See this:
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/123095.
>
> Thanks for your hint to this solution. However, I'm afraid this is at
> least at present for "hackers only", as the readme says ... it is not a
> package that comes complete for simple download and install as we know
> it so far. So this looks like a project worth observing.

Because the author (who also contributes regularly to emacs development)
of mac-port doesn't want to distract the development to the ns-port
(your link below provides binary for this but compiling yourself is just
as easy.). The ns-port might be sufficient for most users. So you can
try that and see how it suits you. Steady though slow improvement has
been made to this port. In particular if you want to use fly/ispell
checker you ought to get the latest build.

> BTW, other users have recommended <http://emacsformacosx.com/>.
>
> I would like to point out that this is a serious issue for TeX users on
> the Mac indeed because Emacs with AUCTeX provides the best teXing
> environment by far. I would not use TeX with a different editor, I've
> tried a few. I've used Emacs extensively since 2001 on various platforms.

agreed ;)