[OS X TeX] Can someone please test this?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Apr 8 15:36:35 EDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Jean-Claude DE SOZA wrote:

> Bonjour Herbert,
>
> With your third asymkrc, compilation goes near the end (the pdf is even produced) but I got this message in the Console :
>
> Output written on asym.pdf (2 pages, 49889 bytes).
> SyncTeX written on asym.synctex.gz
> Transcript written on asym.log.
> Latexmk: Log file says output to 'asym.pdf'
> Rule 'pdflatex': File changes, etc:
>   Changed files, or newly in use since previous run(s):
>      'asym-1.pdf'
>      'asym-2.pdf'
>      'asym-3.pdf'
>      'asym-4.pdf'
>      'asym-5.pdf'
>      'asym-6.pdf'
>      'asym-7.pdf'
> Rule 'pdflatex': The following rules & subrules became out-of-date:
>      'pdflatex'
> Latexmk: Maximum runs of pdflatex reached without getting stable files
> Latexmk: Did not finish processing file:
>   'pdflatex' needed too many passes
> Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.
> Latexmk: applying rule 'pdflatex'...
> Latexmk: Errors, so I did not complete making targets
>
> Cordialement
> Jean-Claude DE SOZA

Howdy,

Sigh... it appears that each time through the asym-n.pdf files are slightly different (i.e., their md5 sums or something like that is changing) so latexmk thinks it has to process things again and it's going into an ``infinite'' loop (infinity = 6 times for latexmk for safety).

Right now I've changed things so latexmk (actually pdflatexmk basically) is only called after an initial call to pdflatex and then asy. This is actually like the Asymptote engine that comes with TeXshop except that pdflatexmk is run as the last run (after the graphics pdf files are created) rather than just pdflatex so not as much improvement as I hoped for (it will do the bibliography, etc., as with a plain pdflatexmk run). Replace the asymk engine in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines with the one attached