[OS X TeX] Re: FYI: Support for Carbon Emacs package will end

Adam M. Goldstein z_californianus-dated-1271253184.ad295e at shiftingbalance.org
Fri Apr 9 09:53:01 EDT 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 08.04.2010 um 14:07 schrieb Juergen Fenn:
>
>> Am 08.04.10 13:30 schrieb Leo:
>>
>>> The ns-port might be sufficient for most users. So you can
>>> try that and see how it suits you.
>>
>> I tried it self-compiled last summer when Emacs 23 was released. It was
>> terrible compared with Carbon Emacs. Very crude. No integration in Mac
>> OS X (save/open file dialogues etc.).
>

> Eye candy! Oh, I like that NS variant. I really do!

I use the ns-emacs and have done so for a few years now. Every now and again I compile it from the source. It is pretty bare-bones, which I like, but there is integration with cut and paste, so it fits into the mac environment. I install AucTeX myself as well. The ns port is extremely reliable. I don't think I've had it hang or crash for at least a year. So the adaptation is pretty good.

I am talking about what you get from here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
z_californianus at shiftingbalance.org