[OS X TeX] for i: code editor for the iPad (have any of you tried this?)

Brad Miller bonelake at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 14:48:44 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Gary L. Gray <gray at engr.psu.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2010, at 1:48 AM, Ramón Figueroa-Centeno wrote:
>
>> Have any of you tried "for i" <http://www.exebeche.com/fori/>.
>>
>> It claims it does syntax coloring for LaTeX.
>>
>> I am interested in knowing how it works before buying it.
>
> It does look interesting. I am hoping that BBEdit for the iPad will appear soon, but as is their usual modus operandi, they aren't saying a thing about it.
>
> If I had my iPad (I ordered the 3G version), I would buy it and try it, but I still have no word as to when it is going to appear. Heck, "for i" is only 2 lattes at Starbucks, drop a sawbuck, give it a try, and let us know what you think. :-)

I did download version 1.0.1 just now, and it does indeed to LaTeX
syntax highlighting.

You can transfer files back and forth with your desktop using a little
web interface.  Its pretty basic but it works fine.

I'm assuming it will work with my wireless keyboard, when I get it,
but for now editing LaTeX would be a real pain as the \ key is on the
3rd alternate keyboard :-(

Changing font size is really clunky as you need to modify the theme.
Maybe 12 point font is OK for most people on the iPad but not for my
eyes.  Changing the font is also goofy as the font list is not in any
discernable order.  These are minor annoyances that I'm sure the devs
can fix pretty quickly.

Now all we need to do is develop a previewer and get TeXLive running
on the iPad.  :-)

Brad

> -- Gary----------- Please Consult the Following Before Posting -----------
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq