[OS X TeX] compatibility of todo package with xelatex

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Apr 17 19:06:52 EDT 2010

Hello Rob,

On 18/04/2010, at 7:45 AM, Rob Rye wrote:

> MacOSX TeX Group and Federico Garcia (developer of todo package),
>
> I have recently started using the todo package to keep track of
> unfinished business in my manuscripts. I had always just used
> comments, but the todo package allows me to see a list of my
> unfinished tasks at the end of the pdf, all in one place. todo has
> worked flawlessly for me under LaTeX. I really like it.
>
> I have also begun trying to make the transition to XeLaTeX, having
> been intimidated at the prospect of really learning how to use
> fonts under LaTeX. When I typeset a document using XeLaTeX and
> todo, I get the following error messages (which are non-fatal but
> annoying):
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty:
> 231: LaTeX Er
> ror: Command `\Finv' already defined.

This might well happen if you are loading  amssymb
after  xunicode  or  fontspec (which requires  xunicode ).

I don't see how this is related to use of  todo  though,
which makes no direct attempt to load any other packages.

Without you showing us your coding, it is only possible
to speculate on what could be the cause of the problem
that you are facing.

For instance, if your coding included something like

    \todo{Don't forget to put \usepackage{amssymb} in the preamble.}

to remind yourself to update your own preamble,
then this might cause the package to be loaded
at an inappropriate place.

But this should cause a warning message anyway, so there
would be feedback that something is wrong.

Better would be

    \todo{Don't forget to put \string\usepackage\{amssymb\} in the
preamble.}
or
    \todo{amssymb}{Don't forget to put \verb|\usepackage{amssymb}| in
the preamble.}

> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.231 ...ol{\Finv}           {\mathord}{AMSb}{"60}
>
> ?

> Presumably these errors indicate that when running XeLaTeX and todo
> together I somehow end up defining several symbols found in
> assymb.sty a second time. Has anyone else used this combination of
> tools? If so, is there a workaround, other than hitting return over
> and over again to ignore the errors?

> In case it matters, all of my TeX work is done using the TeXShop
> GUI (v. 2.33 as of this writing) under Snow Leopard.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob Rye
> Astrobiologist-at-Large

Hope this helps,