[OS X TeX] texdoc

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Apr 18 15:48:24 EDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Denis Chabot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have TeXLive 2009 installed and am using TeXShop to write LaTeX documents whenever I can get away with it (MS Word being mandatory at my work place). Things work as expected so I assume my distribution is properly installed.
>
> For the first time today I tried to use texdoc. The documentation for texdoc says that I just need to type texdoc followed by the name of a package in Terminal. But here is what I get:
>
> dchabot$ texdoc ledpar
> -bash: texdoc: command not found
>
> Does this mean my distribution is not installed properly, or that I neglected to set an option or something?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Denis Chabot

Howdy,

Did you install TeX Live directly or via MacTeX? Assuming the latter you should have a TeX Distribution System Preference Pane which shows the active distribution. What does

which pdflatex

return in Terminal? It should return

/usr/texbin/pdflatex

if not something happened to you PATH setting. Did you recently upgrade to Snow Leopard from Leopard? That would return the PATH to its original setting. See QM.10 on the MacTeX FAQ, <http://www.tug.org/mactex/2009/faq/>, for instructions on how to fix the problem.

One other thing to note, TeXShop has an interface to texdoc, Help->Show Help for Package... (Opt-Cmd-I in recent TeXShop builds [2.33 is the latest version]), that might help too.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)