[OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Aug 4 18:07:27 EDT 2010

On Aug 4, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> First... since latex2rtf and latex2html are not part of a TeX Live distribution (ergo MacTeX) there is no reason to include such and engine.
>
> That's for sure. But then this begs the question: why not? And, lest anyone thinks I am being other than I am, let me state that I am merely curious as to why the creators of TeXLive and MacTeX, to whom I am completely grateful, have so chosen and let me add that I am absolutely and totally convinced that this is not out of any kind of negligence whatsoever.

Howdy,

When I look in CTAN I see that latex2rtf hasn't been updated there since 2008 and the only binary supplied is for Windows although there is source. From what seen on the list recently compiling it is not a simple affair.

Or are you implying that TeXshop should contain engines for all possible software whether it's part of TeX Live or not? I hope not.

All of the software in TeX Live is a subset of that on CTAN with very specific licensing requirements.

>> Here's an engine I use for creating latex->html documents using tex4ht. First go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ and pick any .engine file, duplicate it (Cmd-D) and renaame the duplicate htlatex.engine. Then open that file in TeXShop by double clicking it, replace all the text in that engine with
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> htlatex "$1" "html,pic-m+,pic-tabular,pic-fbox"
>>
>> (make sure you end with a final return) and save it. When you restart TeXshop and open a source file take a look at the popup menu next to the Typeset button on the toolbar. you'll see the new engine listed.
>
> Thank you very much for these instructions which I will soon try to follow and will report on.
>
> Grateful regards
> --schremmer

And take a look at what IS supplied in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/. I'd bet that there is something there that will be useful to you at some time.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)