[OS X TeX] "lining" figures/numbers, old-style figures, and tables

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 5 12:17:11 EDT 2010

On 05-08-2010, at 16:39, Nathan Paxton wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	I'm typesetting/writing an article that is primarily text, but also contains statistical tables and such. I prefer to use Palatino (mathpazo package, to be specific).
>
> 	Some fonts, as many of you know, contain both "uppercase" (so-called "lining") figures/numbers and "lowercase" ("old-style") figures. I usually invoke the old-style option, as it makes numbers set in the body text look more appropriate. But in tables of regression results, I'd prefer to have the uppercase/lining numbers, as these have a more consistent look for reading in tables. But I can't figure out how to get the table/tabular environment to default to lining figures. Does anyone have any idea how to do such?

You can define a command switching to the version of Palatino containing lining figures as per

\newcommand*{\LF}{\fontfamily{ppl}\selectfont}

After a \begin{figure} or \begin{table} place \LF
and all your numbers will be in lining figures.
See the simple example below.
If you want to hide the explicit \LF, you'll have to redefine the table and figure environments.

/Berend

Example:

\documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
%
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[osf]{mathpazo}
\usepackage[scaled=0.90]{helvet}
\usepackage{textcomp}
% Switch to version of Palatino containing lining figures
%
\newcommand*{\LF}{\fontfamily{ppl}\selectfont}
%
\begin{document}
First line of text
\begin{table}
\LF
\caption{Table}
\begin{tabular}{lrr}
Imports & 1.234& \textminus 7.8900\\
Exports & 14.67 & 597.88
\end{tabular}
\end{table}
and now text after the table with 12.6592332.
\end{document}