Finding the Wiki (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter)

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Thu Aug 5 18:04:54 EDT 2010

On Aug 5, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2010, at 4:13 PM, <cfrees at imapmail.org> <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:
>

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I've done some editing and even contributed an article to the wiki and I certainly support what you've done. But, I'm sure at least some of what I've written is probably in good need of updating.
>>
>> Some of what I've written *definitely* needs updating. But it hardly
>> seems pressing when I see the questions it answers asked and answered
>> here again and again without anybody ever being directed to the wiki or
>> seeming in the least aware of its existence. Perhaps people do use it.
>> I can only assume that, if so, they are not members of this list.
>>
>> This isn't to say I don't mean to update it, but there are other things
>> to do and so it is less of a priority. If I knew people actively used
>> it, it would be a higher priority.
>>
>> - Clea
>
> Howdy,
>
> And I know the same thing about some things that I've edited and written.
>
> However, we're into a cart before the horse sort of thing here. Could I, in good conscience, send someone to a web page if I know, or, because I haven't visited recently, no longer know, that the information there may be out of date?
>
> I'm just not sure how to deal with that.
>
> Another point is that unless you have a good familiarity with what and where some information is, even in a local like the wiki, it becomes difficult to tell someone where to go rather than answer the question (even though it has been answered multiple times before).
>
> Can we give this some thought and see what we can come up with? I should spend a bit of time carefully looking at the wiki to see what is there.
>
> Would it be possible to automatically publish some sort of outline of what can be found on the wiki on this list a few times during the year? Maybe a notification when something changes too? Just throwing things out there.

Well, automatically requires an individual to step up. I think it's pretty clear from the front page that it's chock full of material, 133 pages. Clea made a fantastic "Starting points" page:
http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php/Starting_Points

Would that suffice?

As for stuff being hard to find, the search serves that purpose well too.

We certainly would welcome you, and others, to take active roles. I sense that we've burned ourselves out. I know I got feverish reports of update for quite some time that have slowly died off.

Joe