Finding the Wiki (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Tex to rtf converter)

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Fri Aug 6 19:01:41 EDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2010, at 5:50 PM, Alan T Litchfield wrote:
>
>> Unlike a mailing list that has as many contributors as posters, a website (and a wiki) has a limited number of contributors. Both exist and stay up to date for as long as those contributors are willing and able to do so. A mailing list is likely to have a longer life span simply because the pool of contributors is larger and those cease to contribute are more likely to be replaced.
>>
>> The wiki is an excellent resource, as are the many other websites. It is true that a lot that is still out there is no longer current so please, keep up the good work. It all adds to what makes TeX a such a great experience. I have delighted in reading (and keeping) Adam's and others' posts in past. Of course we all lose patience and need a change and we are are entitled to choose our destiny.
>
> (1) Another difference: I learned mathematics in schools (one-way) but stone work by watching and talking with stone-masons (two-way). I learned LaTeX from Companion 2ed and from LateX-masons (all but one on this list.).
>
> (2) I noticed two absences in the wiki: (Note the absence of any joke here.)
>
> 	(a)	sage on the mathematics helpers page.

I'm not sure what sage is.

> 	(b)	a page for pieces of code that do a specific thing. Below are examples of what I mean and which I would post on the wiki should it be appropriate.

Alain,
The wiki is intended to focus primarily on the mac aspects of TeX and variants, without being harshly restrictive. There is a better place, I think, for such, although you could certainly use your own home page on the wiki to your hearts content. There is a more general wiki at
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

That is quite extensive and seems to be well organized. I had seen it a while back, but we haven't a link to it yet (I'll do that after sending this). I think we certainly should be pointing to this resource prominently as it is likely of interest  to all readers of our wiki (narrowly focused on Mac users).
Joe