[OS X TeX] How to make locate/spotlight search ~/Library/texmf

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Tue Aug 10 18:00:27 EDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Dr. Clea F. Rees wrote:

> On Tue 10th Aug, 2010 at 13:32, Michael Sharpe seems to have written:

> There is. Or, at least, it can be done for GNU locate. I installed
> that
> as glocate and then build both a general database and a personal
> database. I then use locate to search the generic, system-wide
> database
> which gets updated once a week, I think, or glocate to search both a
> system-wide and personal database both of which are updated daily.
>
> I can't remember why I did it this way so I'm not sure if you could do
> the same with the default locate or not.
>
> Let me know if you want further details.

Hi Clea, yes, I would like to see the details if it's not too much
trouble to recreate them.

>>> Sure, but they're far from functionally equivalent, since Find Any
>>> File doesn't search on content.  So if I don't know the name of
>>> something but I know what's inside it, I can't find it with that
>>> tool.  Since that's my preferred searching method for many things,
>>> using Find Any File just adds a third tool for me, so it's really
>>> a last resort.
> But locate doesn't search content either, does it?

True (I guess I sound incoherent in what I want :-)) Basically I'd be
happy if locate could find stuff (albeit without content, but from the
command line) or spotlight could (with content, in the GUI).  What I
don't really want is a third tool that's GUI but only finds names.
(Which is more or less what Find Any File is) since that for me is the
worst of both worlds.  (And I understand that this is a very personal
opinion).

Alan