[OS X TeX] Re: The microtype mystery

Robert w.m.l at gmx.net
Thu Aug 19 00:23:20 EDT 2010

On 19.08.10 04:22, George Gratzer wrote:
> I emailed you the "article".

Thanks. I get similar results, i.e. the compilation time (almost)
doubles when using microtype. Although this is a bit more than I would
have expected (and probably only occurs with huge documents, where tex's
main work consists in the actual typesetting as opposed to executing
packages' macros), I guess it's more or less unavoidable. pdftex is
slower since it has more paragraph-breaking options to consider, and the
microtype package itself also takes up some time.
However, this (0m2.442s vs. 0m4.226s) is far from the times you
mentioned in your original post (0m2.595s vs. 0m35.443s), and even
farther from Josep Maria's extreme times (0m4.266s vs. 3m39.757s).
So, if the compilation time only more or less doubles, I don't think
there's much I can do about it. If there really are cases where
typesetting takes ten or even fifty times longer, then I am still in
want of example documents (hint for Josep Maria... ;-).

Regards,
--
  Robert