[OS X TeX] Re: The microtype mystery

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Aug 24 12:26:33 EDT 2010

On Aug 24, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Nestor Aguilera wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> On 23 Aug 2010, at 00:48, Robert wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> the solution is to add the following lines after loading microtype:
>>
>> \makeatletter
>> \def\MT at register@subst at font{\MT at exp@one at n\MT at in@clist\font at name\MT at font@list
>> \ifMT at inlist@\else\xdef\MT at font@list{\MT at font@list\font at name,}\fi}
>> \makeatother
>> [...]
>
> I am having trouble with the above lines using the mathdesign fonts.
>
> Here is a short example:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{microtype}
> \makeatletter
> \def\MT at register@subst at font{\MT at exp@one at n\MT at in@clist\font at name\MT at font@list
> \ifMT at inlist@\else\xdef\MT at font@list{\MT at font@list\font at name,}\fi}
> \makeatother
> \usepackage[utopia]{mathdesign}
> \begin{document}
> \section{Trial}
> Some text
> \end{document}
>
> Commenting the mathdesign line or the lines between \makeatletter and \makeatother gives the correct result.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Nestor

Howdy,

One other suggestion... If you want to use Utopia try the fourier package which has a wonderful set of math fonts and extensions. It also can use the Utopia Expert font (true small caps, extra weights) if you've purchased it. I like to use the berasans and beramono fonts scaled at .85 as the sans and monospace fonts:

\usepackage{fourier} % use the [expert] option if you have the utpia expert fonts installed
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{berasans}
\usepackage[scaled=0.85]{beramono}

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)