[OS X TeX] Cocoaspell does not know common words

Nathan Paxton napaxton at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 25 22:43:31 EDT 2010

	Hi all,

	I know. Another cocoaspell question. But I really can't figure this out, and it frustrates me.

	I am working on an article, and said article has a number of "big" words, like environmental, demonstrates, institutionally, comprehensive, introduction, and disagreement. When I use the English (Aspell) option in the Edit -> Spelling and Grammar pop-up window, all of these words are flagged as misspelled. These are not highly uncommon words, so it's quite frustrating to have to go through 12,000 words of text and have to "correct" all sorts of words that are spelled correctly, and which the spell-check gives exactly the same suggestion for the "incorrectly" spelled word. I, of course, want to use aspell because of the LateX checking capabilities.

	In the Cocoaspell System Prefs panel, I have the following dictionaries checked:
Spanish
English [variant_0]
English [variant_1]
English [variant_2]
English

	Suggestions modes for all are "Normal" and the URL and TeX/LaTeX filters are checked.

	In the Text and Language panel, the Text tab has the Automatic by language Spelling option; aspell is set up to be the preferred (#1) English mechanism.

	Anyone have any ideas?

	Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
-Nathan A. Paxton
----------
Nathan A. Paxton, Ph.D.
Lecturer
Dept. of Government, Harvard University

napaxton AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~napaxton
When you have to stay eight years away from California,
you live in a perpetual state of homesickness.
        - Ronald Reagan

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.
Aloud.
        -Coco Chanel