[OS X TeX] EPS to PDF conversion fails in graphicx (but not in preview)

chlists at me.com chlists at me.com
Sun Dec 5 19:01:37 EST 2010

Hi Themis,

On 04/12/2010, at 4:02 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
[...]
> I have followed the various suggestions. The question remains, however, that the problematic eps file is converted properly by preview but not by epstopdf. Here is a more recent version of that file. This version was annotated heavily in AI and, paradoxically, epstopdf converts it properly, unlike the earlier version. This too contains Adobe garbage but, apparently, not toxic enough to give eps2pdf a bad stomach.

coming late to this discussion but I recall very similar problems with Adobe Illustrator _reading standard Postscript_  generated in GMT (Generic Mapping Tools). A lot of people have had a lot of trouble using the various versions of Adobe Illustrator over time which has problems of postscript images generated by GMT.

My assumption would be that Adobe Ilustrator CS will likely not produce "standard" EPS which will make other applications choke on the code. The upshot being that Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org) is probably a much better choice to produce standard EPS or PS (or PDF).

See the links below for the thread related to the GMT PS code and Illustrator:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.gmt.user/13966
and especially this one:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.gmt.user/13976

Cheers,