[OS X TeX] Re: Latexian 1.0 Released

Claus Gerhardt claus.gerhardt at uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 9 14:19:32 EST 2010

Exchanging files between different platforms could be a problem, though I doubt that TeXShop's encoding methods would be recognized by a Windows machine. However, for OS 10.5.x or better the encoding can be specified in the extended attributes of a file, cf.

• TextEdit now stores encoding of plain text files with the file, as an extended attribute. (Please refer to the Foundation release notes for technical details on this.)  The stored encoding enables the files to be interpreted correctly upon reading. With this change, the default encoding for saving in TextEdit has also been changed to UTF-8. This can of course be overridden through the preference panel, or on a per-file basis in the save panel.

Claus