[OS X TeX] "! LaTeX Error: No counter 'a' defined."

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 17 16:29:51 EST 2010

On Dec 17, 2010, at 2:54 PM, John B. Thoo wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> This is not specifically a TeX on Mac question, so I hope you'll forgive my asking here.  I am, however, using TeX-Live 2009 in Mac OS X 10.6.4 on a MacBook Pro.
>
> I have a main file "narrowhom.tex" in which I use
>
> \documentclass[11pt]{amsbook}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>
> [...]
>
> %\includeonly{ch.numsys}
> %\includeonly{ch.numthry}
> %\includeonly{ch.solveeqn}
> %\includeonly{ch.geom}
>

> I compile using "latex narrowhom.tex" in X11 and view using xdvi.
>
> If all the "includeonly" are commented out (like above), compiling does not present any obvious errors.
>
> If "\includeonly{ch.numthry}" is uncommented, compiling also does not present any obvious errors.
>
> However, if "\includeonly{ch.numsys}" or "\includeonly{ch.solveeqn}" or "\includeonly{ch.geom}" is uncommented, then I get errors like these:
>

> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'a' defined.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.182 \include{ch.numthry}
>
> ?
>
> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'b' defined.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.182 \include{ch.numthry}
>
> ?
>
> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'temp' defined.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.182 \include{ch.numthry}
>
> ?
>
> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'a' defined.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.184 \include{ch.geom}
>
> ?
>
> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'b' defined.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.184 \include{ch.geom}
>
> ?
>
> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'temp' defined.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.184 \include{ch.geom}
>
> ?
>

> Do you have any idea to what these errors refer and where I should look to fix them?
>
> (If there is a better or more appropriate place for me to ask this question, please guide me there gently.) :-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> ---John.

Howdy,

Are you saying you are uncommenting more than one \includeonly command?

Do you any command definitions in the (un)included files that are used by the other files?

Are the \includeonly commands in the preamble or the body of the document?

Could something in the [...] be interfering with things?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)