[OS X TeX] MacPorts and MacTeX

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Dec 20 17:25:05 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm thinking about installing some software (specifically shibboleth)
using MacPorts to save me the trouble of building all the dependencies
by hand.  I have MacTeX installed on the machine, and crucially need
command line access to tex binaries, so I need to be sure that there
will be no interference between MacPorts and MacTeX (or know how to
eliminate it.)  My last foray into using Fink a long time ago caused
more problems than it solved, and ever since I've been generally
happier building the few unix based binaries that I need myself, but
for this job, MacPorts looks like it will save me a lot of time.

I know that some of you successfully run both MacTeX and MacPorts.
Are there any pitfalls that I need to watch out for, or tricks that
will make everything work smoothly?

Thanks

Alan

--