[OS X TeX] Syncing in one direction only

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Thu Dec 23 22:12:26 EST 2010

Hi Alain,

On 2010-16Dec-, at 9:15 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> <<snip>>
> You may wish to consider the following alternative:
>
> First, I have two folders: Contents and Controls
>
> ---In the Contents folder I have files named 0.tex, (that's for the Preface),1.tex, 2.tex etc each of which starts as follows:
>
> 		%!TEX root = ../Controls/\jobname.tex
> 		\chapter{My Chapter One}
> 			Some text
>
> ---In the Controls folder, I have files also named 0.tex, 1.tex, 2.tex etc each of which is just a copy of:
>
> 	\documentclass[11pt]{book}
> 		\usepackage{xxx}
> 	\begin{document}
> 			\addtocounter{page}{0}%Must be adjusted manually from the WholeBook
> 			\addtocounter{chapter}{\jobbame-1}%This, though, is automatic
> 		\include{../Contents/\jobname}
> 	\end{document}
>
> Thus, I can typeset a chapter either from the Content file or from the Control file.
>
> ---Thirdly, I have a folder WholeBook which contains the file MyBook which is the usual root file:
>
> 	\documentclass[11pt]{book}
> 		\usepackage{xxx}
> 		\usepackage{yyy}
> 	\begin{document}
> 		\frontmatter
> 			\include{../Contents/1}
> 			\include{../Contents/2}
> 			etc
> 	\end{document}
>
> which will of course typeset the whole book.
>
> In fact, for the sake of symmetry, I am now using the following variation on the above theme
>
> I have only the two folders: Contents and Controls (No WholeBook) in which I have the same files as above but also, in addition:
>
> ---In the Contents folder:
>
> The file ALL.tex:
>
> 	%!TEX root = ../Controls/\jobname.tex
> 		\include{../Contents/0}%Preface to be numbered along with the contents, etc
> 	\mainmatter
> 		\include{../Contents/1}
> 		\include{../Contents/2}
> etc
>
> ---In the Controls folder
>
> The file ALL.tex:
>
> 	\documentclass[11pt]{book}
> 		\usepackage{xxx}
> 		\usepackage{yyy}
> 	\begin{document}
> 		\frontmatter
> 			\input{../Contents/ALL}
> 		\backmatter
> 			\include{../Text-contents/99}%That's the GNU FDL
> 			\printindex
> 	\end{document}
>
> And, again, I can typeset the whole book from either the Contents or the Control file.

Indeed, I have so considered, but need more time to experiment a bit with an explicit example. There are a couple of points that are unclear (to me), but I'll see what happens with an example.

Thanks very much for your outline.

Don Green Dragon
fergdc at Shaw.ca