[OS X TeX] problem with texdoc

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Dec 27 09:00:44 EST 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for posting the message twice, but I don't see the first one
> _ perhaps we have too much snow in Paris :) _
>
> I try yesterday $ texdoc texbytopic
>
> texbytopic.pdf is opened but I get
>
> texdoc warning: Failed to create cache file in /Users/ego/Library/texlive/2010/texmf-var/texdoc/cache-tlpdb.lua:
> texdoc warning: Permission denied.
>

> $  kpsexpand '$TEXMFVAR'   gives
> /Users/ego/Library/texlive/2010/texmf-var
>
> but the permissions for the texlive folder and all  the subfolders are
>
> owner root
> group staff
>
> reading and writing for system
> forbidden access for everyone
>
> I can repair the problem but I don't know what bad action I made
>
> Best regards
>
> Alain Matthes

Howdy,

It's owned by me with group wheel (but that shouldn't make a difference) on my system. Did you perhaps run something like `sudo updmap` (not updmap-sys) or `sudo fmutil` (not fmtutil-sys) at some point? If that folder structure wasn't already created by then it might get created with root as owner.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)