[OS X TeX] Arial font

Gerrit Glabbart g.glabbart at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 18:17:45 EST 2010

2010/2/4 Jung-Tsung Shen <jushen at gmail.com>

> A proposal requires the use of Arial font. I have searched the mailing
> list and learned that there are very little differences between
> Helvetica and Arial. The posts also mentioned several different
> commands that allow the use of Helvetica.
>
> However, when opened the compiled PDF, there it clearly says the font
> used is Helvetica. I figured better to use genuine Arial font to avoid
> any problems. I then downloaded the fonts and had them installed
> according to the installation guide came with the fonts, but it
> failed. I searched the list and but could not find convergent
> descriptions on how to install such font (but have tried almost each
> of those methods ...).
>
> Could someone help me on this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> JT

Well, if you *really* want to use Arial, you could see if XeTeX is an option
for you. A lot of documents do "just work".

OTOH, is someone who is typographically illiterate enough to demand Arial
likely to a) spot the differences to Helvetica, or b) check the PDF
metadata? You might just get away with using Helvetica, after all.

G.