[OS X TeX] New Macros, new Engines, new TeXShop versions, and all that

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Feb 22 06:25:15 EST 2010

Am 22.02.2010 um 01:43 schrieb Richard Koch:

> Take as a specific example the Engines folder. Are you saying that
> all Engines included in TeXShop should appear in /Library/
> Application Support, and that ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines should be
> reserved for engines which individual users invent?

Yes, that's my opinion.

> In that case, are you saying that all engines included with TeXShop
> should
> automatically show up in the pulldown menu on the toolbar?

Maybe not (OTOH, all Mac TeX utilities appear at once, upon
installation, in PATH and their documentation in MANPATH), maybe you
should improve your TeXShop's user interface. The TeXShop
documentation (contributed by the macro authors) would actually
document (and explain the use or purpose of) the included macros and
the means to activate groups of them. And also to deactivate them (via
an Options menu?). The activation status can be recorded in files in
user space. (Theoretically there can be, outside inner application
bundle and user space, also a system space into which a nice system
administrator can put additions or extensions.)

> Or when a user upgrades, they should automatically see any new
> engine that has been included?

Yes, definitely. A message about this would really be user friendly.
GNU Emacs has the NEWS file (similar to the new About This Release
menu item), which is accessible from the Help menu, which explains
what has changed since the last release. And it's rather detailed...

> And if not, then should users activate new engines before they see
> them? Then how is that different than the current situation, except
> that users have to understand TWO locations, ~/Library/Application
> Support and ~/Library/TeXShop.  I have never looked in ~/Library/
> Application Support in my life.

The current situation is that I don't receive updates. They come in,
more or less undocumented, when I first trash my own stuff. This is a
bit too complicated, sometimes juggling with a few open Finder windows
on limited screen estate when one tries to copy new versions into
one's home directory.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Mac OS X is like a wigwam: no fences, no gates, but an apache inside.