[OS X TeX] New Fonts and all that [WAS: New Macros, ...}

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 22 09:02:38 EST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 3:52 AM, Luci Ellis wrote:

> If it's any help at all, see my support files for various fonts including maths: http://www.verbeia.com/tex/
>
> Let me know how it goes. I would be glad to hear how easy the documentation is for a "naive user".
>
> There is also support for many Adobe fonts here: http://www.tug.org/yandy/usely1.htm

Howdy,

I'll take a look. This could be very useful. Maybe you could write up something for the MacTeX Wiki.

> And there is much that can be done without doing any special wizardry other than loading a package. All of these are built into standard TeX installations including MacTeX.
> For example:
> \usepackage{txfonts} gives you Times
> \usepackage{mathpazo} gives you Palatino
> \usepackage{fourier} gives you Utopia
> \usepackage{kpfonts} gives you a font that is similar to Palatino, but not quite the same.

I think the mathptmx package is now recommended for Times.

> You might not have these ones installed (it depends what installation you have and when you installed it)
> \usepackage{gtamachoefler} gives you Hoefler
> There are many others in the gtamac... group.
>
> Best regards,
> Luci

Unfortunately this and others in the gtamacfonts are kind of dead unless you've been around for a while and ``saved'' them, and their support files, since they can't be generated from the latest Apple font files (at least via the script that generated them using fondu in the first place). Too bad too!

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)