[OS X TeX] Scaling figures in (pdf)latex produced with gnuplot, etc.

Jimi Alphapower at gmx.de
Sun Feb 28 17:01:34 EST 2010

Hei,

I produce most of my figures with Gnuplot. Generally I use the same
figures several times (e.g. in journals, proceedings, posters,
presentations, ...). But there is a problem. If I include the figure
with \includegraphics[width=...]{figname}, both the graph and the text
is scaled.

I have seen that Gnuplot offers the possibility to generate e.g. tex
+eps files. In this case, (pdf)latex scales the font in the figure
according to the font size of the text. To include the "figure", I use

\begin{figure}[htb]
   \input{figure}
\end{figure}

which works fine. However, I generally need to scale the graph (e.g.
1.0\textwidth, 1.0\columnwidth, ...). If I use the commands
\resizebox{1.0\textwidth}{!}{\input{figure}} or
\scalebox{1.0\textwidth}{!}{\input{figure}}, also the text will be
scaled and the advantage of using the Gnuplot terminal epslatex is lost.

Is there a way to include these files (eps+tex) and to scale the
figure individually?

An alternative could be the package "gnuplottex". But also here I
don't find an option to scale the figure precisely. And of course, it
is not convenient to send the source files for the plots to a publisher.

Similar problems may have some users of XFig.

Thanks,

Jimi