[OS X TeX] removal of unneeded languages

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Jan 5 17:40:15 EST 2010

Am 05.01.2010 um 21:25 schrieb <Patrick.Wambacq at esat.kuleuven.be> <Patrick.Wambacq at esat.kuleuven.be
 >:

> So what is the best way to remove what I don't need? Or to not
> install it from the beginning?

The TL '09 documentation describes a few ways to configure your system
individually. The option for the languages is to create a file

	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/generic/config/language-local.dat

(or is it in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c? would need to read
it again!) with a contents à la:

	%!ancientgreek
	%!ibycus
	%!arabic
	%!basque
	%!ukrainian
	%!uppersorbian
	%!welsh

removes all the listed languages from the format. I see now:

	Babel <v3.8l> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, nohyphenation, german-x-2009-06-19, ngerman-x-2009-06-19,
french, german, ngerman, loaded.

It's also possible to create

	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf

into which you can enter lines for additional FMTs or enter lines à la

	#!cslatex
	#!pdfcslatex
	#!phyzzx
	#!texsis

to disable these FMTs. In

	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap-local.cfg

you can set defaults like

	LW35 ADOBEkb
	pdftexDownloadBase14 false
	dvipdfmDownloadBase14 false

or disable some MAP file fragments

	#!SkakNew.map
	#!arabi.map

or enable others:

	Map MinionPro.map
	Map PS3fonts
Finally you can create

	/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.cfg

with a contents like

	\ExecuteOptions{a4paper}

or whatever you prefer and is not the "built-in" default in LaTeX.

This latter configuration works at once. The MAP file related
configuration becomes active when you run updmap-sys with elevated
privileges. The languages and formats related configuration becomes
active when you rebuild the FMT files.

Obsolete files will not be removed.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Behold the warranty … the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh
away.