[OS X TeX] Compiling MikTex tools for Unix

Benoit RIVET benoit.rivet at free.fr
Sat Jan 9 11:23:28 EST 2010

Le 9 janv. 2010 à 16:54, Berend Hasselman a écrit :

> The error message says it all. You can't mix 32/64 bit architectures.
> You must force the compiler to produce a 32-bit application since your QT library is 32-bit.
> Possible options for gcc are  -arch i386 or -m32 or something similar.

As a matter of fact, all of these nice subtleties go beyond my level of expertise. I certainly can understand the problem, but not quite easily how to fix it. Is this a setting I have to change in the source files, or is there a magic terminal voodoo in order to change the compiler option. Does it have permanent effect, in which case I should invoke some other voodoo to go back to the default settings after compiling ?

Along with Miktex sources, there's a README.UNX file listing some prerequisites; and claiming that one compiles and installs Miktex Tools by invoking :

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
make
sudo make install
sudo initexmf --admin --configure
sudo mpm --admin --update-db
initexmf --update-fndb

I did my best to get the prerequisites (cmake, Qt dev kit (installed last 4.6 version), lynx, xsltproc, libcurl and pthreads libraries and header files) listed in README.unx (though I'm not sure about pthreads libraries and header files, but I don't think this causes the problem I stumbled upon). The first command (cmake ...) goes fine, but the make command doesn't, as reported in my first message. I'm sure that I've got to change some option somewhere, but I'm clueless as to which specific file to change.

As to why I should try and install pdftex-miktex, when I can have everything I need whith TexLive, I will answer : why should I not ?

I really appreciate on the fly installation of missing packages with MikTex on windows. It's good to enjoy the best of both worlds, isn't it ?

Benoît RIVET