[OS X TeX] Problem with TLU and .map

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 20 08:53:51 EST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 6:29 AM, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Hi
>
> I always  have the same error
> 2010-01-20 13:06:12 +0100 Error tlmgr_cwrapper[32842]
> !!! ERROR! The map file `CONCRETE.map' has not been found at all.
>
> but I have
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/CONCRETE.MAP
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/pdftex/CONCRETE.MAP
>
> I need first to remove ~/.texlive2009/
> then I need
>
> sudo updmap --syncwithtrees
>
> and then
>
> sudo fmtutil-sys --all
>
> I would like to stop the error but I think I need to make
> a local customization
>
> In updmap --edit I read
>
> # To make local customizations to the map files, please use of the
> # following methods:
> #
> # 1) call
> #       updmap-sys --enable Map=foo.map
> #    for each map file.  (Or MixedMap instead of Map, if your font has
> #    both Metafont and outline definitions.)  See the updmap --help
> #    documentation.
> #
> # 2) add your local map entries to the file
> #       TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap-local.cfg
> #    and then call
> #       tlmgr generate updmap
> #    which will concatenate updmap-local.cfg to the end of the final
> #    updmap.cfg.  (You can override the local.cfg file location with the
> #    --localcfg option; see tlmgr --help.)
> #
> # If you use either of these methods, your local adaptations will be
> # preserved when tlmgr updates the installation or this config file.
> # Manual edits to updmap.cfg may be lost on update.
>

> What I need to do exactly ?
>
> Best regards
>
> Alain Matthes

Howdy,

On the Mac the TeX Distribution is owned by root and, since you are putting the fonts files, including the map file, in the texmf-local tree I assume you want to enable the fonts system wide. Removing ~/.texlive2009 is correct; that will prevent any interference if you have created any personal system map files by using updmap rather than updmap-sys. To enable the map system wide you should run

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=CONCRETE.map

and if that doesn't work (because of the fooling around before) first disable the and then enable it. To disable the map run

sudo updmap-sys --disable CONCRETE.map

before enabling it with the command above.

Finally, I tend to put map files into sub-directories of /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips/ but I'm not sure that makes a difference.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)