[OS X TeX] csv2latex

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sat Jan 30 12:46:24 EST 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>> Hi, this is most likely the problem.  (Just make sure that if
>> you've changed the name from csv2latex to csv2latex.rb you either
>> reflect that change in the Applescript, or change it back so that
>> the Applescript actually calls the correct execuatble.) As the
>> author of csv2latex I'd like to improve the documentation, if
>> possible. The documentation does mention to make sure the file is
>> executable, but perhaps I should make this clearer by giving the
>> exact commands to do so?   Would that have been helpful to you?
>
> Since you asked for it, here comes the installation absolutely,
> totally, ultimately challenged:
>
> 1) I downloaded the zip from ctan
>
> 2) I am reading "Using csv2latex to paste spreadsheet table cells"
>
> 	3 Installation
> 	Put the ruby script in some location where it can be found. A
> logical place for all users is
> 	/usr/local/bin. Alternatively, you can put it in a local bin
> folder /Users/<youruser>/bin for
> 	example. Make sure the file is executable.
>
> 3) I can't find .usr/local/bin (I thought there was a way with the
> Finder but couldn't find it) I suspect I need the terminal.

The . has undone you!  In the finder, you should be able to to Go To
Folder (command-shift-G) and then enter /usr/local/bin and then copy
the csv2latex script there.

But you will still need to open a terminal window and do the following:

$ cd /usr/local/bin
$ sudo chmod +x csv2latex

Now everything should work as advertised.

But now you've made me think I should make an installer package for
this anyway, so that Terminal phobic users won't have to deal with
this at all.

> 4) I copied the applescript into a TeXShop macro and it comes up but
> then can't find the script. (Of course)
>
> 5) I think/hope Ruby 1.8 came with 10.4.11

I think it does.  You can check from the terminal by typing:

$ which ruby

and you should get back /usr/bin/ruby as a response (as opposed to
nothing at all)

> 6) Trade:  If you help make it, I will write it up and you can have
> it. (Nothing like a certified install-challenged to write idiot-
> proof installations instructions)

Thanks for the offer, but there's no need.  I'll package the script
into an installer so that it will be almost a one click procedure.

Alan