[OS X TeX] Adding a macro to TeXShop via an installer script

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sat Jan 30 12:56:41 EST 2010

Hi, the discussion that has been going on about installing csv2latex
has got me thinking about creating an installer package for it.  For
the ruby script itself, this is trivial, and will make the part of the
installation that is hardest for non-Terminal users easy.

I'm wondering, however, if there would be a way to have the installer
actually add the TeXShop macro code itself into the relevant
user .plist file.

So a couple of questions: first, is this a good or bad idea? (The
current installation instructions tell people to cut and paste the
Applescript into the TeXShop macro editor, which certainly works.)

Second, is is possible to add plist items via a script?  I tried
adding a postflight shell script that simply added a new element to
the file ~/Library/TeXShop/Latex_Macros.plist but it didn't seem to
work (i.e. the file wasn't even modified at all.)

Can someone with more experience with writing intstaller packages give
me some advice here?

Finally, would it be useful to add the csv2latex scripts to the
TeXShop distribution itself.  Do I just contact  Dick and suggest it?

Thanks

Alan